[Msa-discuss] Cover-to-Cover Project

Sean Latham sean-latham at utulsa.edu
Thu Jul 17 10:50:09 EDT 2008

Colleagues--

I'd like to draw your attention to a new cataloging and bibliographic
initiative associated with the Modernist Journals Project.  The Brown
University Library, in conjunction with the Center for Research
Libraries, has launched the Cover-to-Cover Project.  It asks
libraries to survey their physical holdings of key twentieth-century
magazines.  As you know, most catalogs record runs of bound
periodicals, but in the process of binding original covers,
advertising pages, and even some editorial content were discarded.
As a result, there is a considerable hole in the archive that the MJP
is trying to identify and repair with its digital editions.  Doing
so, however, means identifying institutions that actually hold
undamaged runs of magazines.

You can find a more complete description of this project online here:
https://wiki.brown.edu/confluence/display/library/Modernist+Journals
+Project%2C+Cover-to-Cover+Initiative

I hope you'll take a look at this site, urge your own libraries to
participate, and share this link with other librarians and archivists
who might be able to assist us.

If you are unfamiliar with the Modernist Journals Project, you can
visit it here: www.modjourn.org.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Latham