[Msa-discuss] MSA seminars 2007

Melba Cuddy-Keane m.cuddy.keane at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 5 20:39:49 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,
The sign-up deadline for seminars for the 2007 MSA has been extended to =

October 1.  And given that extension, I'd like to draw your attention to on=
e =

particular seminar that still has some room.  It's a new venture in the =

seminar format, and one that I think has great potential: participants are =

asked to choose books from a list, rather than proposing topics from their =

own reading.  In this case, the list is a series of books published under =

the series title "To-day and To-morrow"--offering a wonderful glimpse into =

modernist ways of looking ahead to, conceiving of, and constructing the =

future: titles include the future of film, the future of nonsense, the =

future of swearing, the problem of race, the future of intelligence, the =

future of the press, advertising and its future, the future of wine, the =

future of futurism...
I searched the my own university library's website for these books, and I =

attach the list of books that I found.  There are, I know, more.  The books =

are really short.  The time is Friday 3:30-5:30.  We'd love to see you =

there.  And thanks to Max Saunders, of King's College, London, for coming t=
o =

us with this idea.

14. =91To-day and To-morrow=92
Leader: Max Saunders max.saunders at kcl.ac.uk
>From 1924-31, the two publishers Kegan Paul and Dutton published the serie=
s =

=91To-day and To-morrow=92, 100+ essay-length books on the future, edited b=
y the =

philosopher C. K. Ogden. They cover diverse subjects from science and =

politics to art, culture, and everyday life. Few (especially those on =

science) are well-known. But most are fascinating documents of =

interdisciplinary modernity. The aim for this seminar would be to =

concentrate on 15-20 of the volumes, concerned with topics relevant to MSA9=
, =

Participants are invited to address one or more in their paper.

very best, and looking forward to seeing you all in Long Beach,
Melba Cuddy-Keane =