[Msa-discuss] Extended deadline for Byron and Modernity conference

Byron & Modernity byron07 at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 13 12:11:50 EST 2007

We are extending the deadline for the submission of proposal for Byron
and Modernity until March 1, 2007. Would you please post the following
updated cfp to the Msa-discuss list members.

Thanks,

Hallie Marshall

Please note that the deadline for submission of proposals has been
extended to March 1, 2007.

Keynote speakers: Professor Christopher Ricks, Professor Jerome McGann,
and Professor Tilottama Rajan

Submissions are invited for “Byron and Modernity” an international
conference, sponsored by the University of British Columbia, to be held
in Vancouver at the Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites October 26-28, 2007.
We welcome papers that explore the way Byron and Byronism have been
interpreted since the Romantic period, in Byron’s reception through the
nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and the place of Byronism in
fashion, popular, and print culture. But we are especially interested
in papers that take Byron’s presence in modern culture as an
opportunity to address wider questions surrounding modernity and
modernism. If “the modern” marks the time when the subject left the
safety of the local to experience the world, if modernism celebrates
change itself as the driving force of global power, to what extent is
Byron, the cosmopolitan wanderer and genius of self-promotion, an
exemplary, if not pivotal figure of modernity? The Byron circle might
be called the first avant-garde: what part did the figure of Byron play
in other modern avant-garde movements or in the development of
criticism, theory, and culture that followed them? Byron was a social
critic and a fashion icon: his work straddles high and low culture,
aristocratic pretension and bourgeois consumerism, the power of the
mind and the experience of the body. What can his influence tell us
about similar contradictions in modern poetry and literature? What
might Byron’s presence in popular culture and, by contrast, his
relative absence from critical culture tell us about culture generally
in the modern world? We are less interested in Byron the man than we
are in “Byron” the idea, a specter of art, power, and transgression
that haunts modern consciousness.

Proposals of 500 words for 20 minute papers may be sent by email to:
byron07 at interchange.ubc.ca
Deadline for submissions: March 1, 2007 (Original deadline: January 31,
2007)
Conference website: www.english.ubc.ca/PROJECTS/byron_conference